September 6, 2011

Tailgate Classics

Yesterday, I told you all about our first football game and tailgating extravaganza from this weekend.  Now that football season has officially kicked off, tailgates (and the yummy recipes that accompany them) will be coming on the regular.  The good news for you (well, I guess it's only good news if you're looking for some recipes...if not, just check back with me tomorrow) is I will make sure to share whatever my contributions are for the week.  Even if you are not a tailgater yourself, these recipes make awesome appetizers, sides, and desserts, so you should be able to find something over the next several weeks that you can use too.
As a preface, our tailgates are themed each week.  This week's theme was classic tailgate food...easy, huh?!?  I made three different things for the week.  At least at our tailgate parties, the most classic tailgate food is Buffalo Chicken Dip.  In fact, I made it several times last year and wrote about it back in my early blogging days, so click on this link if you are interested.
My second contribution to the big tailgate were little morsels of joy known as Chicken Puffs.  These guys are really simple to make, but look much fancier...trust me, people will be impressed.  But best of all, they are freaking yummy.  They are definitely better warm, so as a note of caution, I'm not sure they make the best tailgate food unless you can find a way to keep them warm.  Even so, they were devoured, so maybe I'm just picky.
Chicken Puffs

  • 2 chicken breasts, cubed (I used the Perdue grilled chicken and cubed it myself)
  • 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 6 tbsp. butter, softened
  • onion powder to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • 2x10 oz. crescent dough
1.  In medium bowl, mix chicken, cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, and onion powder  until creamy.  I usually have to stick this in the microwave for 45 seconds in order to stir/blend it well.  
2.  Preheat oven to 325.
3.  Unroll crescent dough and cut each triangle in half (the crescent dough will already be split in triangles...you want to slice those triangles in half creating 4 triangles for each rectangle).  Put 1 tsp. chicken mixture in center of each triangle and fold crescent dough over creating purses.
4.  Arrange on baking sheet.  Bake 12 minutes.

It is my belief that every party, even a tailgate, needs something sweet.  Therefore, my final contribution to the tailgate were a little recipe I got from Mels Kitchen Cafe called Caramel Crunch Bars.  She had said these were originally called Homemade Kit Kats, but she had changed the name because they didn't taste like Kit Kats...I agree (although they do look like Kit Kats).  Honestly, I'm not sure what they taste like, but they're pretty darn tasty!
Caramel Crunch Bars?

  • 80 Club crackers
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch morsels
1.  Line an ungreased 9x13 pan with foil, leaving a little extra foil on each end.  Line the foil with with layer of  Club crackers (you may have to cut/break the crackers to fit).
2.  In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, milk, and sugar.  Bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes (start the timer once you see the first bubbles), stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.
3.  Pour half of butter mixture over the first layer of crackers.  Place another layer of crackers over the butter mixture.  Spread remaining butter mixture over crackers.  Top with a final layer of crackers.  
4.  In a microwave-safe bowl, place peanut butter, chocolate chips, and butterscotch chips.  Melt in 45 second intervals, stirring in between, until all is melted.  Spread evenly over top.
5.  Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to eat (at least one hour if you can handle waiting!).








2 comments:

  1. holy moly do those chicken puffs look amazing. i will try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment