October 17, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats

Our brood is expanding...our tailgating brood that is.  Last week, our friends welcomed their sweet baby girl Maisy into the world.  And as the committed tailgaters that they are, Maisy made her grand finale this past weekend:

In honor of her arrival, it was decided that our tailgate this weekend should be kid-centered.  Grilled cheese and grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (if you've never had the latter, you need to get on it...trust me!) were the main courses, but there were plenty of other fun additions, mainly of the sweet kind, which is right up my alley.
As usual, I used the tailgating experience as an excuse to try out a recipe I had spotted on Pinterest.  I mean, really, how much more kid-friendly could Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats be anyway?  These were really pretty, festive, and fun (unfortunately once again my camera does not do them justice...mental note: must call Best Buy to check on the whereabouts of my beloved camera) and pretty tasty, ya know if you're in the mood for a Rice Krispy Treat!

A note of caution to all pregnant women who like cake batter like myself (or really to anyone): this recipe requires about 1/4 cup of the stuff, which means you are going to make a whole batch and only use a very small portion of it.  The left over cake batter is VERY tempting (damn you potential salmonella)...I ended up making a dozen cupcakes (and still had some batter left over), so if you choose to proceed, have a plan for your extras!
OK, enough talk...want the recipe?
Cake Batter Rice Krispy Treats
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup yellow cake batter
  • 6 cups Rice Krispy cereal
  • 1.75 oz. sprinkles
  1. Melt butter in large saucepan over low heat.  Add marshmallows and allow to melt (this takes awhile!).
  2. Once marshmallows begin to melt, add in cake batter one spoonful at a time.  Mix everything completely.
  3. Remove from heat and add in cereal (I do it 2 cups at a time to make it a little easier).
  4. Stir in half of the sprinkles.
  5. Lay out in 9x13 pan.  Top by sprinkling remaining sprinkles.
Like I said, these are a pretty tasty treat for kids or kids at heart.  Try them out...tell me what you think...

1 comment:

  1. Awwww, that's a dedicated mommy. Maisy is going to be a sports fan, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment