November 8, 2011

Nothing a Little Paint Can't Fix

I reported last week that it turns out we are officially in crunch time to complete Colton's room, so needless to say any minute of "down time" I have had recently has been spent tackling projects for his new space.  Luckily, with the help of Pinterest and other online inspiration, I had come up with a pretty solid plan for this room over the past several months even drawing up a very rough sketch of the final product (all accessories in place).
So, now it's time to execute...
Project #1, then, was creating some sort of coat peg rack.  Colton is losing a lot of closet space when he makes his transition, so I wanted a place that he could hang some extra stuff, especially those sweatshirts or hats that tend to see a lot of action. I started with a regular ole wood peg rack that I got from AC Moore for $8.
After removing the hooks, I gave it a few coats of white acrylic paint and then let it dry overnight.  I am totally obsessed with chevron right now, so my next step was to use some painter's tape and lay out a very basic chevron pattern over the white paint .  
As the above shot alludes to, my final step was to apply a few coats of orange paint to the wood.  Meanwhile, I also used some navy blue spray paint to give the actual hooks a couple coats of color.  When everything was good and dry, I put it all back together and this is what Colton's peg rack looks like now.

That navy blue spray paint turned out to cover a whole lot of ground too!  While working on the hooks, I also brought out Colton's mirror (which I had previously painted white) and a bulletin board that I had scored for free (!) when I returned some weird smelling candles and things that I had received as end-of-the-year presents from a student.   After covering the glass and cork respectively with newspaper to keep them nice and clean, I gave them each a couple coats of paint as well.  Here is what they looked like before:
And now:

And the best part of progress came Thursday when I paid some very nice movers (Start Packing if you're local) $100 to clear out the desk (and move it down the hall to the playroom) and take the dresser to my brother's house where it belongs.  With just a bed left to remove, the room should be officially cleared out and ready for Colton's belongings just in time for his new bed to arrive (thanks Meme and Papa!).  We might just make this deadline after all!



2 comments:

  1. I cant see the after picture(s) of the mirror, etc. :( From what I can see, though, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping me on track Jenn:)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment